Thursday, September 4, 2014

The Spoon Theory applies to Post Polio

http://www.butyoudontlooksick.com/wpress/articles/written-by-christine/the-spoon-theory/

I have Post Polio Syndrome.  I've had it over 20 years. It has taught me many things..most of those things I did not want to learn but it continues to teach me anyway.  If you read this article linked above on spoon theory you will perhaps understand it a bit better. Although this article is about Lupus, it applies in many ways to Post Polio.
Some days I feel like I have very few spoons to spend in the day.  Sometimes that is because it seems like I used up many of the spoons just trying to get some rest at night. Other days I start the day feeling I have several spoons but soon find out I don't. Some days  I seem to find some spoons along the way and can push through to include a few things I love...usually those are time out with family or my dogs.  On days where there are very few spoons, I sometimes panic that there will never be more spoons or that I will be some place and the spoons will disappear.  Sometimes those days stretch on for many months.  So far, there has always been  a return to some level of a few more spoons for an undetermined amount of time; the unforeseeable roller coaster affect of this uncertainty is  hard.
But I am not alone! There are thousands of people with many disease states who fight these same sorts of issues. Perhaps this Spoon Theory article will help us all be more thoughtful of those who may not look sick but are counting spoons every day.

0 Comments:

 

blogger templates 3 columns | Make Money Online